Cosy on up for the months ahead with the iconic hot chocolate recipe from London landmark, Claridge's
This lockdown, it's less about making do with homemade and more about bringing the luxury to you.
So put away the powdered cocoa and kick your hot chocolate game up a notch with Claridge's rich, decadent, silky treat, topped with foaming cream and pillowy marshmallows.
200g (7oz) Valrhona Guanaja dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
300ml (10fl oz) whipping cream
1 litre (1¾ pints) hot milk
Marshmallows, to decorate
1. Melt the chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water, or simply in the microwave.
2. In a small saucepan, bring the cream to the boil, then immediately remove from the heat.
3. Pour one-third of the hot cream into the melted chocolate. Using a spatula, stir briskly to incorporate the cream. The chocolate might look grainy and split at this point – don’t worry! Repeat twice more, adding another third of the cream at a time. The chocolate should now be smooth and glossy. .
4. This chocolate ganache can be used straight away or refrigerated for up to 5 days and reheated as needed (to reheat, warm gently in the microwave or in a bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water until the ganache is hot and melted).
5. We serve our rich hot chocolate as a jug of hot ganache, a jug of frothy steamed milk and an empty mug, so each guest can mix their hot chocolate to their liking. Garnish with marshmallows, as desired.